Monday, March 17, 2003

Onward Christian Soldiers......

The moment of truth? What truth? Can any of us handle the truth? Can rhetoric be sorted from propaganda or is it all relative anyhow?

What is this all about? Revenge? Oil? Power? Terrorism? Regime change? Racism? Protection? Does any of us really know?

I never really intended to quote Jean Chretien in my blog..... ever... but recently he said "[Resolution] 1441 does not talk about regime change, so I'm surprised. It is disarmament we are talking about. If you start changing regimes, where do you stop, this is the problem. Who is next? Give me the list, the priorities." It's the first time in a long time I agree with any sentiment my Prime Minister has uttered. I echo the query... who is next?

What can be said of our humanity? Who are we to think that we are not responsible, if only in some small way, if US bombs destroy Iraqi families? If they can not influence their governments, shouldn't we influence ours for them?

In Germany in World War II, anyone not with the state was against it (Sound familiar?). In 1937 Martin Niemoller was arrested for treason against Nazi Germany ~ he spoke out against the war and crimes against the Jewish people. Although initially given only a suspended sentence (perhaps due to foreign pressure brought upon Germany), he was almost immediately re-arrested on Hitler's direct orders. From then on until the end of the war he was held at both of the Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps. Near the end of the war, he narrowly escaped execution.


First they came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

- Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

Will history absolve us?

No comments: