Thursday, August 28, 2003

My life with a Historian...

To understand what living with a (wonderful, beautiful, sexy, intelligent, amazing) historian means for a girl lost within the throngs of moving chaos, check out DUNCAN'S BLOG for his lovely and enlightening (note the hint of sarcasm) pictorial illustration of our packing. Well, our pre-packing state, admist the sorting of wanted and unwanted stuff. I asked him why he felt it was neccessary to take pictures of everything in absolute disarray when we had every opportunity to take pictures of our home in it's normal state of order and tidiness, but he said it was for historical purposes that he should document our moving in all its glorious and jumbled mess. He said he was the true state people get into when moving. I know I can't argue with that, so I just nod my head and smile prettily. Anything that makes him happy is fine with me...


It is worth some pondering over the portrayal of our lives through the pictures we take - and is it accurate - does any one take pictures of the things they don't want to remember? Or just everyday, mundane things that make up our experience but are overlooked when it comes to the documentry of our lives? I love pictures: they are, among many other important artifacts of my life, proof of my existance (and my enjoyment of) here. I love what I see within pictures, I love what pictures represent to each observer, I love how I can see so much of a common human condition in a shot that someone, sometime, was moved enough to capture on film. I even collect pictures other people have taken - and I am a big fan of how the intro to the film ONE HOUR PHOTO (a freaky website, check it out) describes the overall phenomenon of picture taking... "[Family] pictures depict smiling faces. Births, weddings, holidays, children's birthday parties. People take pictures of the happy moments in their lives. Someone looking through our photo album would conclude that we had led a joyous, leisurely existance, free of tragedy. No one ever takes a picture of something they want to forget..."


Or do they? I think maybe we do.


Anyways, I am soposed to be taking a "break" (today we have finished, incuding cleaning carpets and washing walls, the upstairs of the house) so I should hurry this up. We had lunch out at the Den today with Kim and Kirsten, and I had the most fabulous sandwich (Parmeson coated Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion Sandwhich.) It was DELICIOUS. Also, thanks to Kim, we did a Belief based quiz from Beliefnet, and it appears that we are to be (rolling eyes now) Unitarian Universalists. Hahaha. Also, Secular Humanists and buddhism were high, and they fit well into who I am spiritually. I guess it could be worse... Anyways, here are my results:


1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (96%)
3. Liberal Quakers (96%)
4. Secular Humanism (82%)
5. Neo-Pagan (80%)
6. Mahayana Buddhism (76%)
7. New Age (75%)
8. Theravada Buddhism (74%)
9. Taoism (69%)
10. Bahá'í Faith (66%)
11. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (65%)
12. New Thought (61%)
13. Nontheist (57%)
14. Reform Judaism (56%)
15. Scientology (55%)
16. Orthodox Quaker (53%)
17. Jainism (52%)
18. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (47%)
19. Sikhism (45%)
20. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (42%)
21. Hinduism (37%)
22. Jehovah's Witness (33%)
23. Orthodox Judaism (30%)
24. Islam (23%)
25. Seventh Day Adventist (22%)
26. Eastern Orthodox (11%)
27. Roman Catholic (11%)

Take the test yourself. Warning: Belief-O-Matic™ assumes no legal liability for the ultimate fate of your soul.

No comments: