Friday, October 17, 2003

Allie and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

When author Judith Viorst wrote "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" she wrote it not for kids, but for all of us who suffer days like mine today. See, Alexander's not really having a bad day, persee, and there is nothing really wrong with his life, it's just "one of those days".

Alexander's day starts when he wakes up with gum in his hair. At breakfast, Alexander's brothers Nick and Anthony find amazing prizes in their cereal, while all Alexander ends up with is, well, cereal. The situation gets worse at school when his teacher doesn't understand him, he visits the dentist only to discover he has a cavity, and his Mom buys him shoes he hates cause the ones he likes aren't in stock. His brothers push him around until he finally pushes back, but then he is the only one his Mother catches. A visit to his Dad's workplace incurs him the wrath of his father (not to mention he seems to upset all the papers and office equiptment without really trying). If I remember correctly somewhere in the story the ice cream falls off his ice cream cone and rolls into the dirt. For dinner it is the only meal in the world he despises, his PJ's are all wrong, and the cat wont sleep in his room.

Alexander, in all his wisdom, surmises that since in Australia, everything is upside down, maybe his terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day would become a wonderful, terrific, really good day, and he decides he will move to Australia.

Today I got up early with Duncan to make him coffee so he could get to an early meeting. I succeeded, but I forgot to make the kids lunch for school. I was actually shooing them out the door before I realized. I wanted to celebrate my first paycheque so I took Duncan out for lunch and bought everyone some presents. That fish tank Raven wanted got real heavy after some time and my arms still hurt. I tried to nap when I got home, since I have to work a stupid event tonight, all night long, but I couldn't sleep, and even if I had my ex still phoned and woke me up. I am tired already. I planned a special dinner and got take out ready to be delivered when Duncan was soposed to arrive home. Five minutes after dinner arrives, Duncan phones and says he has to stay late to finish some work. He wont get home now before I have to leave, which is in ten minutes (and for anyone paying attention I don't really want to go). Did I mention I am tired? Sigh. It's just one of those days, I guess.

I think I will move to Australia.

No comments: