Monday, February 27, 2006

Echoes of a past gone but not forgotten

This morning Raven was horsing around with one of her friends in the living room. I was in the kitchen making some tea when the next words I heard Raven say stopped me in my tracks.

"Don't touch me there. You're not my Mother."

I'd forgotten completely, but somewhere from the recesses of my mind came the childhood memory flooding vividly into view. Those were my brother's words, a favourite saying of his he saved for when horsing around with buddies (with a faux offended drawl). I don't know if Raven ever had the chance to hear Chris say that before he died, or if it's a more common saying than I am aware of, but it surprised me to hear his words come out of Raven's mouth in the same manner that he used them.

It was pleasant to be reminded of him this morning (even if it reminds me that I miss him) and it allowed me to experience a memory I might not have ever remembered again or otherwise. It makes me wonder about how many other echoes reside inside of me waiting to be heard.

No comments: