Friday, January 30, 2004

It's spanking ridiculous

I can't say how disapointed I am in this ruling. Nevermind how disappointed I am in parents or caregivers that willfully hurt and demean children by hitting them. We're not even allowed to hit our dogs for crying out loud!

What I can say is this: ANY adult who uses "minor corrective force of a transitory and trifling nature" against my children should be expecting a response from myself using "reasonable" force. AND I will be the one determining at that moment what amount of force is reasonable in protecting the health and well being of my children.

"This case is about the right of children not to be hit, a right that in a modern, 21st-century democracy should be unquestioned," said lawyer Paul Schabas when he argued the case before the Supreme Court. But the federal government argued Section 43 should stay in place, saying the law strikes a balance between the needs of parents and the rights of children.

Regardless of the rules that the Supreme Court puts in place to draw the line between abuse and punishment, the real issue should be what type of parent could hurt their own children? What type of parent believes that teaches them anything at all? Except that hitting is an OK way to deal with your emotions? Legally, in Canada, this makes the parent/child relationship the only one where we are allowed to hit each other.

Well, except kids aren't allowed to hit back. Go democracy. Go human rights.

No comments: