Monday, July 11, 2005

Kurimoto Japanese Garden

Today Duncan and I were given the opportunity to share the wonderful experience of the University of Alberta Devonian Botanic Gardens, courtesy of our friend Alan. All of the grounds are beautiful but my Favourite was the Kurimoto Japanese Garden, named after Dr. Yuichi Kurimoto (a U of A graduate in 1930).

The garden is laid out in a kaiyou style (strolling garden) and meticulous care has been taken in its presentation; everything is purposeful, meaningful, beautiful - rocks, flowers, trees, ponds, waterfalls and five authentic stone lanterns that were hand carved from solid granite.

I loved every moment I was there - and I could have spent the rest of the day there. The soothing sounds (birds, waterfall, stream, bells), the warm sunshine, the wonderful smells (flowers, grass) and the visual beauty (arranged flowers, rocks and trimmed trees) all conspired to relax me, excite me and make me feel at peace.

No comments: