Sunday, July 24, 2005

Candy Doesn't Have to Have a Point...

Many years ago, when I was a young girl in grade four (or maybe three) I remember wandering casually through my school library looking for a book. Any book, really, I read everything I could at that age, so I was just waiting for something to catch my eye. I remember seeing a book up on a higher shelf and reached up to pull it down so I could see the front cover. It was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

For some reason, it's the only book I remember finding in the school library, even though I must have read hundreds over many, many visits. It fascinated my young mind and my imagination played with it long after I had finished it, and the next book as well.

Mike Teavee: Why is everything here completely pointless?
Charlie Bucket: Candy doesn't have to have a point.
That's why it's candy.

A little while ago I bought Wesley and Raven the book and they both enjoyed it as much as I had. It only took Wes a few hours to read Raven would not put it down until it was done. Today, I took Wesley (and 7 of his friends) to see the new movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (for Wesley's birthday party). It was Fabulous. Everything that is childhood is wrapped up in this movie. I laughed, I cried, but mostly I revelled in the fact that I was sharing this story with my children so many years after I had read it myself. It was delightful (I love the happily-ever-after ending).

Oh, and I got to see the Harry Potter trailer on the big screen. I can't wait for that!!

No comments: