Saturday, June 11, 2005

Underneath His Clothes...

Music is something that has always been important to Duncan and I, and when we became friends it developed as one of the special many bases of our relationship. We spent the summer of 2000 sitting in the sun and listening to music, sharing our favourites from before there was an "us", discovering each other through our shared history with the same types of music we both loved.

Today we have been sitting in the livingroom together listening to music, and with each song a memory, a feeling, a special time we have shared together. So many have so much meaning (like the songs we first listened to, or the songs we played at our wedding, or the first song Duncan ever sang in my ear) it's hard to chose one to share here.

This one song I first heard at the end of 2001. I remember thinking how beautiful it was (I had tears in my eyes when a friend played it). The lyrics resonated with me and my feelings so strongly I couldn't wait to play it for Duncan so I made him a CD with it on it. I wanted him to know that the song spoke of how I felt for him, how much I loved him, how I chose him over all else, how he had changed me and my world, just by being in it.

I want him to know I still feel it.

You're a song
Written by the hands of God
Don't get me wrong cause
This might sound to you a bit odd
But you own the place
Where all my thoughts go hiding
And right under your clothes
Is where I find them

Because of you
I forgot the smart ways to lie
Because of you
I'm running out of reasons to cry
When the friends are gone
When the party's over
We will still belong to each other

I love you more than all that's on the planet
Movin' talkin' walkin' breathing
You know it's true
Oh baby it's so funny
You almost don't believe it
As every voice is hanging from the silence
Lamps are hanging from the ceiling
Like a lady tied to her manners
I'm tied up to this feeling

Underneath Your Clothes
There's an endless story
There's the man I chose
There's my territory
And all the things I deserve
For being such a good girl honey

- SHAKIRA, Underneath your Clothes


Music inhabits the place where my soul lives, and I truly believe that Duncan is a song written by the hands of god, written for me. Thanks for sharing the music with me sweetheart.

No comments: