Sunday, April 04, 2004

Politics should be service for the people, not service for ones self

I was 17 or so when Ethel Blondin-Andrew was first elected federally. I remember watching an interview with her and the things she said inspired me - but it was more than that. Her politics came from her heart, and as such, she touched in me things I hadn't dared to recognize in myself, or had tried to ignore, having grown up in male centred politics.



I understand and appreciate the peculiar difficulties of combining Native politics with Western Judea-Christian politics, a challenge that even today is not soon to be met. Yet Ethel never stops... she is still, all these years later, as excited and happy to be doing what she is doing - not only for her own people, but for the whole people of Canada. It is the true nature of service that allows her to work towards making a difference.

Her vision of Canada is very similiar to my vision. Our nations are different and yet they are the same. We do live in the best country in this world and The Spirit is strong.

Since we only talked for a few minutes, I was only able to briefly tell her how I thought about her and congratulate her on the job she was doing. I look forward to the next time I will meet with her.

She gave me a lot to think about between now and then.

No comments: