Friday, July 02, 2010

Happiness and Prosperity

July 1st Fireworks in Edmonton

We watched the July 1st Fireworks from the River Valley by Government House. It's a spot with a great view that doesn't get too crowded. It was a nice way to wrap up another Canada Day. Afterwards we drank hot chocolate outside while watching the International Space Station flyby. Pretty much a perfect evening in my books.

I love fireworks even if the are hard to shoot by hand (which is my modus operandi). I've had the pleasure of seeing July 4th fireworks in DC, watched the Celebration of Light competition in Vancouver and seen fireworks displays at both Disneyland and Disney World. It is one of my favourite things to do after dark.

Fireworks originated in China around 7th century (after the invention of gunpowder) and were used to "frighten away evil spirits" and to pray for "happiness and prosperity." Eventually, as most technology seems to, firework lead to development of pyrotechnic weapons with a military application (and the large explosions we love so much). Today fireworks are used around the world as a way to celebrate holidays and special occasions or simply to entertain. There seems to be some controversy around fireworks (like the pollution discussion) but I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like them. What do you think?

You can read more about fireworks HERE.

No comments: