Friday, May 02, 2008

A Matter of Offsetting

It took me a while to warm up to the idea of paying to offset carbon emissions that we create while taking trips. I'm not really sure why though, since we do everything we otherwise can to decrease our carbon footprint; I think my skepticism revolved around an unregulated market and the wide variety of companies claiming to provide this service. It is certainly Buyer Beware - and I was specifically interested in Canadian green energy investment or reforestation.

After some research I have found a company I am happy with - ZeroFootprint. They are a Canadian NFP (certified by ISO 14064-2) that helps sustain and support Canadian forests by planting trees and fighting deforestation, biodiversity loss, and watershed degradation. I found them via AirCanada who partners with them to offset air travel emissions and I recommend anyone considering offsetting check them out.

No comments: