Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Paved with Good Intentions...

I keep meaning to visit England, especially with how good the seat sales have been recently. However a trip like that is surprisingly easy to postpone, especially considering all of the other things a young family like mine wants to do.

The last picture my Aunt sent me. On the back she simply wrote "The old girl and her dog."


My Aunt died this morning, far away in the England I never got around to. It's a bit of a shock - it was sudden, unexpected (as in she was fine yesterday) and the doctor's don't yet know what caused it...

I never met my Aunt Sheila in person - we talked on the phone and wrote and stuff - I feel guilty though because I was forever promising I would go see her and sad that I didn't. It is a genuine sadness because now my loss is complete, and it's my fault.

Sometimes we put the wrong things off for all the wrong reasons. We just don't know it until it is too late.

This is the infinite tragedy of missed opportunities.

4 comments:

michele said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt! My thoughts are with you at this time and I hope your sense of guilt doesn't prevent you from seeing how much you mean every day to the people around you. You might not have made it to England, but I know your commitment to the family around you and you're doing a great job at that.

Allie Wojtaszek said...

Ah, thanks Michele :-) Some times it's awesome that my friends help me redefine my feelings when I am feeling a little lost in them. I am truly blessed with the moswt amazing friends :-)

It doesn't look like I am going to be heading off to England for the funeral. I feel badly about that but with Washington DC (would you be able to meet us there?) and possibly the California road trip and a jaunt out to the coast needed for this year there's only so much I can do... Then add on to that having a baby and perhaps buying a car... life is pricey!

The Melody Censor said...

Sorry to hear of your loss.
S

Allie Wojtaszek said...

Thanks S! Sometimes life is like that huh?