Monday, October 31, 2005

Life means understanding the mysteries of death and rebirth

I am usually tempted at this time of year to right the misconceptions that a Christainized Halloween inflicts upon the celebrations of the Celtic/Druidic New Year, but this year is a little different.

This is the first year, in perhaps ever, that I will be alone on Halloween. Both my children have self declared their intentions on trick or treating without supervision (how fast they grow!) and my husband is at a working dinner. So, with the animals safely tucked away, there is just me to await the hordes of darling little ghosts and goblins that have no idea what Halloween is really all about.

The Druids believed that this was a time when "the veil between this world and the world of the Ancestors was drawn aside," meaning the "living" spirits of loved ones could choose to make contact. And me, home alone, wondering if my ghosts will come calling and if so, what wisdom they will bring me...

Oh dear, my Wiccan Neopagan roots are showing again (and I just had my hair done).

Happy Samhain everyone.

2 comments:

Beatrice said...

Happy Samhain, Allie.

Blessed be,

Beatrice

Jon said...

Thats a great second to last line. It made me snicker. :-)