Friday, June 25, 2004

When to look a gift horse in the mouth...

I can't shake the sense that this may be one of the most important elections I have ever voted in. I just can't clear my head about the field of choice, and the more I consider this election the more concerns I have. Some people are very excited, but the little voice in the back of my mind whispers "be careful what you ask for..."

The Conservative Party is not really what it would have us believe it is. I am old enough to parade Reform Party inflicted scars, old wounds picked open again by the new Alliance Party - and now this trojan horse appears. I can't tell whether I am just naturally skeptical, or deafened by the alarm bells ringing in my head.

I like knowing where I stand. Trust is not something I am comfortable injecting into federal politics, where I appreciate stability to lay, although I am not afraid of a shake up now and then and a political challenge is always welcome. But maybe that's because I live in Canada, where nothing ever bad has really happened politically and our normative lifestyle seems as assured as our sense of security does.

But how easily and how quickly could that reality change?

I don't think I like any of my current choices, especially locally, but federally as well. And when I do, it is short lived, and on second thought I find myself undecided again.

I think I have Voters Block.

No comments: