Thursday, March 11, 2004

Cry Me A River Bertuzzi




Mr Bertuzzi may be a good hockey player, one of the best even. But he sucks at being an NHL player. Bertuzzi, poor baby, with all his fake crocodile tears, really didn't incite much sympathy from myself.

What he did was bad. If I did that in my office, to someone I worked with (or in opposition to), I'd be leaving in handcuffs, and rightly so. If the majority of people can act within a norm of decency then I think we can and should expect that from highly paid professional athletes. I like a good fight as much as the next Canadian hockey fan, but thats not what happened here.

It disgusts me when our stars decide to act out in this way because, as a hockey parent, it's hard enough worrying about the safety of little bodies without the worry that somebody will try to imitate their hero in similiar fashion. No one needs to see someone dead on the ice in the midst of our greatest game.

Then it really is game over.

No comments: