Monday, September 22, 2003

THE MEEK ARE GETTING READY ...

So much hate. So much that I don't know where to start even. People who hate are dark unhappy creatures indeed. Sad and Pathetic and Lost.


Yesterday I covered a Rally for The Gateway. The rally itself was supposed to be in support of the traditional family (aka a protest against Bill C250 and same sex marriages) but what it ultimately degenerated into was a big gay bashing rally.





Of course, while at the rally, I had to remain impartial in order to write a balanced and fair article. I managed to write a pretty good piece that my editor was impressed with. But this is my blog, and I can say what I want to. And I want to say is that these people made me sick. Literally, sick to my stomach. I left despising their so called "loving" god, their misled religious fanaticism and their hateful bigotry.


I have other words that I would like to say, but first I will share with you some of the words they shared with me. I want to point out that every single protester I interviewed refused to give their full name (leading me to believe they know what they are saying is wrong).


One protester told me that "I am a Nurse, and I can tell you that homosexuals are not born that way and that they can come out of the lifestyle if they choose too." She then proceeded to add "I find them the most intolerant group of people in this country."


The Speakers, clergy men and prominent community members, sometimes had the most hurtful things to say. One speaker addressed the counter protesters with "Shame on you brother. The shame is on you... don't bend over for anyone". The rally MC, Marshall Deslauriers, claimed "The real danger of assigning homosexuals with group human rights lies in ... awarding [human rights] on the basis of deviant sexual practices. The suggestion that Canada has evolved into a country that now accepts homosexual marriage is both morally and intellectually repugnant."


Yep, if we give homosexuals equal rights and protection, everyone will want them... (rolling eyes).


As the Counter Protesters chanted "EQUALITY FOR ALL" and "SHAME", an older woman in the crowd behind me said to her friend "Just goes to show you how sick these people are". I turned around and looked at her. She looked about ready to die. Before I turned my attention back to the rally, I silently hoped that these antiquitated, bigoted ideas will unceremoniously die out with this entire older generation. One can hope can't they?


I talked to a little 10 year old girl holding up a sign about Homosexual marriage being a sin. Her parents said I could interview her, as long as I was reasonable. I asked her to tell me what her sign meant, but she didn't know. I asked her why she was there that day, but she didn't know. I asked her what she thought about all the people and being here today, and she said in a low voice to me, "I'm scared". Poor kid. And I'm the one who has to be reasonable?


I did hear some things I agreed with on that day, though, and I want to share those words and voices as well.


Marilyn Hooper, and her family, came to the rally in support of Same Sex Families. Marilyn told me "I believe in Equal rights for all, not just for some. The argument is that extending equal rights to Same Sex Families threatens the family, but my husband and I are here to say that we aren't threatened by equal rights."


Bill Lee, who was wearing a shirt that said "Hate is not a family value," told me "I think that straight only marriage is a kind of apartheid."


I also was able to talk to Wendy Robutka, a mother who came to the rally in support of her gay son. Wendy was in tears at the hatred being expressed towards her son, and other people. Pointing out that the definition of marriage has been changing in this country for over 30 years, Wendy said "There is no room here for Hate Crimes. I believe they should have equal rights and if they are denied equal rights then this isn't a free democracy."


Otto Frank, the father of Anne Frank, once said "We cannot change what happened. The only thing we can do is to learn from the past and to realize what discrimination and persecution of innocent people means. I believe that it's everyone's responsibility to fight prejudice."


Me too.


I have an earnest need and desire to live in a world where everyone has equal rights. I reject the notion that I should have more rights then someone else. I reject the notion that my rights mean anything at all if they are only at the expense of someone else. There is room in my world, and yes, in Alberta, for Same Sex Marriage and Families.


Lots of bible passages were bantered around at the rally on Sunday. But they forgot one... Matthew 5:5. "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth".


And they are getting ready.




No comments: