Saturday, September 04, 2010

Looks Like the Summer is Over...

It seems even the trees have given up on summer

In the northern hemisphere summer ends September 23 at 3:09am GMT and then we begin the season of autumn. However, lately in Edmonton it has felt as if summer might already be over - particularly disappointing since many who live here might remark it hardly seems summer ever got started at all.

As much as I look forward to transitioning to fall (and the wonderful colours it brings), it necessarily comes at the expense of summer and sometimes I have a hard time forgiving it for that. I live for the summer time, daydreaming of summer days is what gets me through the winters here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beloved Alberta. As a Calgarian, we used to joke that we had 2 seasons: Stampede week and winter. Summer in Edmonton is only 6-8 weeks, but you have your sun and Indian summer in the fall.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully we'll have Indian summer. I'm beginning to think the retailers know something we don't. Here in Red Deer the stores have cleared out the lawn mowers and replaced them with snow blowers and shovels. Some are already starting to put Christmas ornaments on their shelves.

I was always convinced that as an infant I was kidnapped from some nice, warm Caribbean island...and the shivers I get up my spine when I see this stuff confirms it.

iBrett said...

Much the same in Calgary, Allie. It was the summer that wasn't. Very disappointing. I suppose summer 2010 didn't make the federal government's stimulus project list.

Anonymous said...

Overall I think it was a below average summer. I remember plenty that were warmer than this on here in Ontario. There were only 3 or 4 weekends all summer that didn't rain and turn cold. June was almost a complete wright off. Yet there are still stories in the media that this was the hottest summer ever in history. I don't understand it. I just read a story that August smashed "too many records to mention" because it hit 33 degrees.
33 degrees in August is record breaking now? I seem to remember August always being the hottest month of the year.