Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Parenting with Love... and Logic?

There are all these books out there about parenting with Love and Logic. I know this because I have read my fair share of them, and up until this exact point of time in my parenting career I would say that they have been helpful and welcome.

I believe that teens are perhaps the most endearing, challenging and important group of people in our society - our strongest critics, our future leaders and eventually, our caregivers. This belief, combined with the memory of my own teenhood challenges and the fact that I love my children, lead me to figure the parenting teenagers "stage" would be easy. Or at least, easier for me. Because I am just that good.

Boy, was I wrong. And it really has nothing to do with Logic...

"Raising teens is like trying to nail jello to a tree"
- some poor, unknown parent of a teenager

I really do try, but there are times I am still on the recieving end of "the look" again (if you're a parent of a teen I am sure you know this one - it's the "You're so Retarded" look). I can't wait to be smart and cool again! Can't they see how totally awesome I am?

3 comments:

Nicolle said...

My dear Allie Cat
You've always were and will always be cool and smart. I know this because we are kindred spirits! ;-). The matter of the fact however, is that no matter how good of a parent you are, teenagers are teenagers. Even the best ones send those disparaging looks! Much love,
Nicolle in France

Allie said...

Nikki! Nice of you to stop by - been thinking about you! We're going to come visit you in Paris very soon!

Thanks for your comment. Most of the post of course was meant to be a litle tongue in cheek... and the last comment, well proving how much of a geek I am, is a quote from Animal Crossing's Wild World. I have amazing kids and I can't really (or shouldn't really) complain. But yeah, boy can I tell this is going to be different. And the mistakes have much higher stakes, too.

Hey we had a lot of fun as teenagers didn't we... :-)

wedding dress said...

Thanks for sharing this with all of us. Every girl has her most beautiful moment in the life just when you wear your own wedding dresses in your wedding.You can visit our wedding dress shop.Cheap wedding dresses have good quality. You can find ball gown wedding dresses,mother of the bride dresses,mermaid wedding dresses,flower girl dresses,strapless wedding dresses,a line wedding dresses,plus size wedding dresses,column wedding dresses,beach wedding dresses,empire wedding dresses,tea length wedding dresses,bridesmaid dresses,cocktail dresses,evening dresses,prom dresses your dream. Get your wedding dress in our bridal shop. Finally,I hope you have a happy wedding.