Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The price of politics

And I am not currently very fond of our liberal government either... But this is why I am always so conflicted when it comes to my vote federally. Provincially I am conservative, but I keep a wary eye on the federal "Conservative" party for evidence of the old ways (Reform) that did so much damage in my youth. They insist it’s not there, but every once in a while vigilance discovers it.

Conservative leader Stephen Harper says there's no way he can support the newly offered budget, now that "it's been turned into an NDP budget."

The newly ammended budget is the same budget Harper was previously willing to support, except it now includes an additional $4.6 billion investment in Canadians. The money, only part of our projected surplus, will now be allotted for the environment, affordable housing, foreign aid, training programs, and post-secondary education.

So, the question is, what is it exactly that Harper is opposed to?


  • He is opposing helping lower income Canadian families find affordable housing.
  • He is opposing helping unemployed Canadians attain job training and better jobs.
  • He is opposing helping Canadian students begin and finish their education.
  • He is opposing helping fund measures that will heal our Canadian environment.

I realize the politics behind a move like this are opportunistic, Harper is thinking he can be Prime Minister if he opposes this budget, and likely he is right. But at what cost? What is really bad about the amendments to this budget? There will be an election soon enough, but if he is so willing to hurt Canadians in the mad rush to claim his trophy, I’m not sure I want him to be my PM.

I for one will be watching how he governs his party in this next little while very carefully.

No comments: