Friday, July 18, 2003

Todays Friday Five

I'll admit, when I first saw this weeks Friday Five my disappointed, first instinct was to feel they were intended for someone else... or perhaps my initial discomfort arose from having to consider these traits in myself, or expose them even, if they do exist there. I know I am not a perfect person, and I don’t pretend to live the perfect life, but I do believe that myself and the people in my far from perfect world have more integrity and compassion then these questions might give us credit for. But all in all, in the end I realized I am both confident that I have nothing to hide and that I like the person that I am, even if I have done things wrong.

1. When was the last time you cheated?

Define “cheating” – on a test? Never. On a person? Never. I’ve used a walk through guide when playing some video games, but never really considered it cheating. Sometimes I take “short cuts” at work, but I usually consider that to be innovation (in the more noble pursuit of laziness) then cheating...

2. When was the last time you stole?

Nothing major since I was about eight years old, really (pack of cards from a store, yes I was discovered and yes I took them back and apologized – it was all very traumatic). But then there are lots of little things I don't usually consider stealing (like how you accidently walk off with someone’s pen). Duncan took me to a wonderful hotel in Edmonton for our anniversary in June, and we had this amazingly spectacular meal and I brought home the paper menu card that was in our hotel room. Or even more recently, our next door neighbor moved and I grabbed the newspaper for a few days until it finally stopped being delivered. It was, essentially recycling, right (rolling eyes)?

3. When was the last time you lied?

I am usually painfully honest, too honest for some people’s tastes, even. I have learnt through the years that some information is better off not offered, but I am pretty straightforward if someone cares enough to ask me directly. I don’t lie well, and find myself far more comfortable just confronting the truth then trying to cover it up. I’m the one who has to live with myself right?

4. When was the last time you broke or vandalized another's property?

I can't think of anything intentional or malicious, or even anything at all for that matter... thinking... Duncan had to live with someone who used to break his stuff all the time in an effort to enact punishment on him so I understand that evil acts like that happen, but I can't actually imagine doing that to anybody. I generally have more respect for people than that, and I love the people in my life too much for something like that. But there must be something… I've always been tempted to write my name in wet concrete, but always restrained myself. When I was in the Army we “collected” (liberated) road signs for our Junior Ranks Hall… hmmm, now is that stealing or vandalism? Geez, I am going to hell!

5. When was the last time you hurt a loved one?

Wow - the moment of truth. I live with four people: two of those people I lord over as parent supreme, so I sometimes have to make judgements that they are upset with, even when trying to be fair, and of course I don’t always (snicker) agree with Duncan… but I would never intentionally hurt any of them! Obviously these things happen, but the point of life is to love, and my loved ones deserve the best loving possible. I couldn't remember the last time, so I asked Duncan for help, and this was his answer: “Can't say off hand... hurt is a pretty subjective term. Nothing really comes to mind, you will likely have to think of it yourself. Duncan”.

No comments: