Friday, July 11, 2003

THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY FIVE!



Today's Friday Five is all about friends!

1. Do you remember your first best friend? Who was it?

Of course I remember my very first real best friend. Her name is Dawn. I originally met Dawn when I was 13 years old and volunteering at the SPCA in Nanaimo BC. We actually didn’t like each other much at first, being in direct competition with each other, but we soon found that the tension between us was actually a burgeoning friendship waiting to happen. Dawn told me once that she believed I was the friend she prayed for because she was lonely, like I was the answer to her prayers. Dawn taught me how to love someone, a skill that has done me well in life. For years we were inseparable - and I would suggest today the only real separation between us is the mere 1200 or so km’s between our actual locations.

2. Are you still in touch with this person?

Absolutely! We are like sisters, or twins even… We talk on the phone constantly as well as visits when we can (She still lives in BC). I wish I could get her to email me a little more, or read my blog on a slightly more regular basis, but she lives in a place with no high speed internet offered, so she is stuck with dialup…

3. Do you have a current close friend?

I am gifted in the art of friendship, and I as a result I am blessed with many good and close friends! There is Duncan, of course, who is my best friend, lover, mentor and playmate. There is also Dawn, Cathy, Michele, Elizabeth, Julie, and Joel too, even though he is a boy. As well as my special friends who have moved away and even though I have irregular contact with them, when I do speak with them again it is always like we spoke only yesterday… Nikki in Vancouver, Renee in Belgium and Kerry in Quebec. All of you are in my heart! I should also give special mention to two of Duncan’s close friends, Deven and Quynn, because they have certainly brought a smile to my face more then once lately with their presence in my world!

4. How did you become friends with this person?

Ugh. My previous verbosity has made this a difficult question to answer, but I shall say this… I love people and I find they naturally gravitate to me, and I have always considered myself lucky that so many wonderful and supporting people have crossed my path and decided to stay in my life. I consider their friendship the highest compliment.

5. Is there a friend from your past that you wish you were still in contact with? Why?

Well I guess Shawn would fall into that category – I met Shawn in school when I was finishing grade 12… She was in all of my classes in the last semester of school and we had so much fun (read skipped out) I slipped from the "principles list" (I think the only class we ever really went to was Law 12). Years later, Shawn became Raven’s godmother, but I had already moved to Alberta. We have both moved lots since then, always seeming to find some way to keep in contact… but I fear we may have now lost each other as I haven’t been able to track her down. But now that I am thinking of it, I am going to go look for her on the internet!

So there is My Friday Five for this week!

No comments: